As with all cosmetic surgery procedures, the plastic surgeon you choose to perform your breast reduction is critical to achieving an optimal result in the safest, most effective manner possible. To help you in determining whether or not a particular doctor is right for you, I have compiled a list of several questions to ask your prospective breast reduction surgeon prior to moving forward with treatment.
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
- How regularly do you perform breast reduction surgery?
- What type of results can realistically be achieved?
- What technique will be employed during the procedure?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of this approach and/or other techniques?
- Will I need a breast lift in combination with my reduction?
- What can I expect recovery to be like?
- Where will my breast reduction be performed? (If not in a hospital, is the facility AAAASF-accredited?)
- What kind of post-operative care do you offer?
- Do you have any former patients who would be willing to speak with me?
- May I see before-and-after photos of patients you’ve treated?
- Will insurance cover the cost of my breast reduction? (And if not, what can I expect to pay?)
In response to these questions and any other inquires that may come to mind, your prospective plastic surgeon should be completely forthcoming and honest with you. If for any reason you feel uneasy or are dissatisfied with a response, it is completely acceptable for you to voice your concern and discuss the issue until you are comfortable, or simply reopen your search until you find a doctor with whom you are completely happy.
– Dr. Enrique Silberblatt, Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon